Feb 18, 2023 | Workshop Announcements
HARNER SHAMANIC COUNSELING TRAINING™
“The HSC work is among the most powerful I have encountered, not only for myself at the training, but in use with clients afterwards. With regard to the training itself, I really loved it.” –Susan Rossi
Harner Shamanic Counseling Training
July 31 – August 4, 2023
Taught by April Tuck, CSC
This five-day course provides intensive preparation in a highly effective system of personal problem-solving and guidance for those who wish to use the methods for themselves or professionally for others. Harner Shamanic Counseling (HSC) was originated in the early 1980s by Michael Harner based on his earlier devised core shamanism.
Feb 17, 2023 | Workshop Announcements
West Coast Two Week Shamanic Healing Intensive, June 11 – 22, 2023, Portland area, Oregon. This life-changing course will be taught by Robbie Staufer.
Originated by Michael Harner, this intensive training in advanced core shamanism is described by former participants as “amazing,” “transformative,” “life-changing,” and “the most important experience of my life.” A variety of advanced methods are practiced in this residential program, including extraction healing, power soul retrieval training, psychopomp work, divination, and work with the spirits of nature. There will also be work that is not included in FSS weekend workshops, such as selected advanced healing methods, the dream dance, explorations, and initiatory experiences.
The West and East Coast Two Week Intensives are the centerpiece annual programs of the Foundation and the best preparation for the Three Year Programs. Enrollment is limited and early application is recommended. To assure a place in the program, please return your application promptly; acceptance will be according to priority received.
Feb 17, 2023 | Workshop Announcements
We are pleased to announce that the 6th Pacific Northwest Summertime Three-Year Program of Advanced Initiations in Shamanism and Shamanic Healing will begin August 6 – 17, 2023 in the Seattle, Washington area. It will be taught by Susan Mokelke. There will be three sessions of 11 nights each, one session each summer in 2023, 2024, and 2025. As in the current Three-Year programs, the same profound initiatory and advanced shamanic practices, as originated, researched, and developed by Michael Harner, will be covered. Please check the website for details.
Video Q & A with Susan Mokelke about the program
Jan 2, 2023 | Workshop Announcements
The Foundation for Shamanic Studies is “dedicated to the preservation, study, and teaching of shamanic knowledge for the welfare of the Planet and its inhabitants.” Underpinning this mission is the understanding that all beings are related and interdependent. This fundamental truth guides our decisions at all times, and is the reason we see our responsibility for the safety of the community as a sacred priority. We are a community, all dedicated to walking this beautiful path of shamanism.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, during 2022, we have followed CDC, state, and local guidelines, including the requirement that all attendees at in-person trainings be fully vaccinated. We have continued to monitor the situation and update the policy as the situation has changed, balancing risks and safety with our need to gather in person. These past few years have been a difficult time for all of us—FSS staff, faculty, and students. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate the shifting landscape.
FSS COVID VACCINATION POLICY (effective January 1, 2023)
- Proof of vaccination will no longer be required for attendance.
- For your safety and that of workshop participants, full vaccination, including staying up-to-date with boosters, is highly recommended to minimize the risk of serious illness.
WORKSHOPS: PREPARING FOR ATTENDANCE
For the safety of group members, please follow all recommendations responsibly.
- Covid vaccination and appropriate boosters are highly recommended, but not required. Some faculty members, at their discretion, may offer workshops where vaccination is required. Note: Coronavirus boosters cut hospitalization risk by at least 50%, CDC data shows (12/2022).
- Check the CDC Covid website regarding Covid safety and risks.
- Check Travel Links (domestic and international), and follow the recommendations. Out of respect for all participants, please wear a mask and take extra precautions to avoid infection while traveling.
- Please bring a Covid mask for each day of the training, or a high-quality reusable mask. Depending on risk levels and the instructor’s risk assessment, students may be required to wear a mask during the sessions. In any case, if you wish to wear a mask at any time, you may do so. Mask recommendations; role of face masks; when to wear a mask; disposable masks; reusable masks.
- Recommended if non-local/traveling from a distance: Bring at least 3 rapid Covid tests with you, in case you need to test yourself. About home test results.
- Recommended: Please bring a “Mindfold” or other similar eye covering with you. This special eye covering will permit us to do practices requiring a dark environment—where all light is blocked, yet eyes can remain open underneath the mask, while still maintaining adequate ventilation. Available via FSS (Mindfold), Amazon, and other retailers.
- Suggested: Hand sanitizer and/or sanitizing wipes.
- Have a plan should you need to isolate/quarantine during or after the session. If you become symptomatic, you will have to leave the workshop. If you don’t live locally, consider nearby hotels.
The FSS reserves the right to adjust these COVID-19 policies as necessary, adding, changing, or removing requirements, for the safety of participants and effective teaching of its in-person workshops.
Aug 30, 2021 | Workshop Announcements
The previous page describing our online workshops and online community meetings has been split into two pages and completely redesigned. We hope that this will make it simpler to find what you need.
Online Community Pages
Aug 20, 2021 | Workshop Announcements
17th West Coast Three Year Program of Advanced Initiations in Shamanism & Shamanic Healing
Starts May 15-20, 2022
taught by Amanda Foulger
San Francisco Bay Area
Originated by Michael Harner and based upon his decades of research and experimentation, this course is the most advanced training in shamanism and shamanic healing offered by the Foundation. It is widely considered as unparalleled in the world. It involves intensive extended training in progressively higher levels of very advanced shamanism, including initiations into rare and little-known practices and principles.
In this residential program, the same group of participants meets for a week twice a year (usually May and October) for three years, with practical assignments between meetings. The program is devoted to the objective of advancing the participants’ knowledge and practice as far as possible during the three years.
The training will be held at a special meeting space in the redwoods near Santa Cruz (Soquel). It has a peaceful and welcoming atmosphere with a very accommodating staff, ideal for our spiritual work. It is conveniently located about 40 minutes from San Jose International Airport, next to a state park, with abundant redwoods, oaks, a large meadow, and many hiking trails.
MORE ABOUT THE TRAINING, DISCOUNTS, PREREQUISITES…