The Foundation is now offering Continuing Education (CE) Contact Hours/Credits (CEUs) for its workshops and training programs in the USA and Canada. Read more…
Circle of the Foundation membership benefits are now available. Join our shamanic community and receive special benefits, as well as supporting shamanism and shamanic healing worldwide. Read more…
Marie Claire magazine recently came out with an article on the growing popularity of shamanic healing and listed the Foundation for Shamanic Studies as a resource to find a shamanic healer. Read more…
Several FSS faculty members from the first FSS Faculty Intern Program are now successfully teaching weekend workshops in their local areas. Welcome to these talented new FSS teachers: Jo Ann Broder, Mujiba Cabugos, Narrye Caldwell, Kenny Emerson, Jack Hebrank, Marcia Hebrank, Sharon Collings Licata, Christobel Macdonald, Susan Opie, Denise Paulette, Wade Prpich, Janet Rodriguez, and Juan Carlos “JC” Safa. Read more…
We expect to open a new FSS Faculty Intern Program soon. Watch your emails or check the FSS website. Read more…
Cave and Cosmos by Michael Harner In February 2016, Kirkus Reviews named Michael Harner’s Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality, as the Nonfiction Indie Book of the Month: “Harner’s rich compendium gives many ways to consider and explore a powerful and inspiring view of the cosmos.”
Translations available: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish, and Turkish. Upcoming: Russian and Estonian. Cave and Cosmos is available in paperback directly through the Foundation, as well as online and in local bookstores. Paperback and e-book editions may be obtained online from Random House and Amazon.com. At Michael Harner’s request, all royalties from Cave and Cosmos go to the Foundation for Shamanic Studies in support of its work. Read more…
GATHERING OF THE COUNCIL
The Annual Gathering of the Council by Live Video Conference was held on Saturday at the end of January. Council members from the USA, Canada, Europe, Argentina, and Thailand were present and could see and hear each other for the four-hour meeting. Using the latest technology, we were also able to break into smaller groups and have face-to-face video discussions, giving us a real ability to connect more personally.
- Michael Harner spoke about the history and evolution of the Foundation.
- Kevin Turner read an excerpt from his just published book Sky Shamans of Mongolia, available now in bookstores and soon to be offered on the FSS website bookstore.
- Alicia Luengas Gates and Gerardo Roemer discussed how it is going in Argentina and in Spain, including a 3rd Latin American Three Year program beginning in April. Michael Hasslinger updated us on FSS Europe progress, and Kevin Turner shared about the workshops in Asia, including the 1st Asia Three Year program that began in November 2015 in Bali.
- Kevin Turner gave a fascinating video presentation, with questions and answers, showing a powerful Balinese shaman Ibu Gambuh performing shamanic healing, including extraction. (Look for more about this in this year’s annual journal Shamanism.)
- Roland Urban, Director of FSS Europe, and Susan Mokelke, President of the FSS, talked about the need for core shamanism in helping to solve some of the crucial issues facing our world: climate change, influx of refugees, etc. It was noted that it is important to work locally on issues that most concern you, accessing the wisdom of the spirits to make a real difference. Small group discussion followed, focused on how we could contribute to the well-being of human and other beings with our shamanic work.
- The meeting culminated in a journey to live drumming, with participants seeking wisdom from the spirits on how they might help alleviate a real situation they cared deeply about. To close, each person who wished to share, offered a bit of the wisdom received in the journey.
Afterwards, participants noted how well this video format seemed to work, that it seemed to have come of age. The small “breakout” group discussions were especially popular and effective. We plan to have more time for this kind of intimate discussion in further video gatherings.
CAVE AND COSMOS NAMED KIRKUS BOOK OF THE MONTH FOR FEBRUARY 2016
SKY SHAMANS OF MONGOLIA
FSS Director for Asia, Kevin Turner’s new book Sky Shamans of Mongolia will be released April 12. This fascinating book, based on Kevin’s adventures with shamans in Mongolia as a representative of the FSS, was excerpted in the December 2015 issue of the annual journal Shamanism. It will be available soon through the FSS bookstore.
CAVE AND COSMOS RELEASED IN CHINESE
The complex Chinese edition of Cave and Cosmos was released in January 2016. A Russian version is now underway and an Estonian edition is planned. The Spanish version of Cave and Cosmos (La cueva y el cosmos: Encuentros chamânicos con otra realidad) was released in January 2015, joining other translations, which include the Italian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Turkish, French, and German editions. Cave and Cosmos is available in paperback directly through the Foundation, as well as online and in local bookstores. Paperback and e-book editions may be obtained online from Random House and Amazon.com. At Michael Harner’s request, all royalties from Cave and Cosmos go to the Foundation for Shamanic Studies in support of its work.