Q&A with FSS faculty members Amanda Foulger and Susan Mokelke: the Three Year Program of Advanced Initiations in Shamanism and Shamanic Healing and the Two Week Week Shamanic Healing Intensive. VIEW THE VIDEO.
We are pleased to announce that the FSS now offers Continuing Education (CE) Contact Hours/Credits (CEUs) for its workshops and training programs in the USA and Canada. Click here for details and to request FSS CE credits for FSS workshops you have completed…
The Foundation is pleased to announce that in February 2016, Kirkus Reviews named Michael Harner’s Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality, as the Nonfiction Indie Book of the Month. The Kirkus Review states: “Harner’s rich compendium gives many ways to consider and explore a powerful and inspiring view of the cosmos. His recommendation to develop one’s own spiritual authority rather than depend on ‘the cosmological dogmas of organized religion’ may resonate with readers, and the diversity of accounts allows for inclusion of traditional religious figures (St. Francis, the Virgin Mary, etc.). While the amount of detail is at times overwhelming, this work offers a welcome message of universal healing.” Read more…
GATHERING OF THE COUNCIL
The Annual Gathering of the Council by Live Video Conference was held on Saturday at the end of January. Council members from the USA, Canada, Europe, Argentina, and Thailand were present and could see and hear each other for the four-hour meeting. Using the latest technology, we were also able to break into smaller groups and have face-to-face video discussions, giving us a real ability to connect more personally.
- Michael Harner spoke about the history and evolution of the Foundation.
- Kevin Turner read an excerpt from his just published book Sky Shamans of Mongolia, available now in bookstores and soon to be offered on the FSS website bookstore.
- Alicia Luengas Gates and Gerardo Roemer discussed how it is going in Argentina and in Spain, including a 3rd Latin American Three Year program beginning in April. Michael Hasslinger updated us on FSS Europe progress, and Kevin Turner shared about the workshops in Asia, including the 1st Asia Three Year program that began in November 2015 in Bali.
- Kevin Turner gave a fascinating video presentation, with questions and answers, showing a powerful Balinese shaman Ibu Gambuh performing shamanic healing, including extraction. (Look for more about this in this year’s annual journal Shamanism.)
- Roland Urban, Director of FSS Europe, and Susan Mokelke, President of the FSS, talked about the need for core shamanism in helping to solve some of the crucial issues facing our world: climate change, influx of refugees, etc. It was noted that it is important to work locally on issues that most concern you, accessing the wisdom of the spirits to make a real difference. Small group discussion followed, focused on how we could contribute to the well-being of human and other beings with our shamanic work.
- The meeting culminated in a journey to live drumming, with participants seeking wisdom from the spirits on how they might help alleviate a real situation they cared deeply about. To close, each person who wished to share, offered a bit of the wisdom received in the journey.
Afterwards, participants noted how well this video format seemed to work, that it seemed to have come of age. The small “breakout” group discussions were especially popular and effective. We plan to have more time for this kind of intimate discussion in further video gatherings.
CAVE AND COSMOS NAMED KIRKUS BOOK OF THE MONTH FOR FEBRUARY 2016
SKY SHAMANS OF MONGOLIA
FSS Director for Asia, Kevin Turner’s new book Sky Shamans of Mongolia will be released April 12. This fascinating book, based on Kevin’s adventures with shamans in Mongolia as a representative of the FSS, was excerpted in the December 2015 issue of the annual journal Shamanism. It will be available soon through the FSS bookstore.
CAVE AND COSMOS RELEASED IN CHINESE
The complex Chinese edition of Cave and Cosmos was released in January 2016. A Russian version is now underway and an Estonian edition is planned. The Spanish version of Cave and Cosmos (La cueva y el cosmos: Encuentros chamânicos con otra realidad) was released in January 2015, joining other translations, which include the Italian, Norwegian, Romanian, Slovenian, Turkish, French, and German editions. Cave and Cosmos is available in paperback directly through the Foundation, as well as online and in local bookstores. Paperback and e-book editions may be obtained online from Random House and Amazon.com. At Michael Harner’s request, all royalties from Cave and Cosmos go to the Foundation for Shamanic Studies in support of its work.
East Coast Two Week Shamanic Healing Intensive, October 23 – November 3, 2016, Madison, Virginia. This life-changing course will be taught by Nan Moss and assisted by Elaine Egidio. A special live video interactive video conference with guest Michael Harner is planned.
Originated by Michael Harner, this intensive training in advanced core shamanism is described by former participants as “amazing,” “transformative,” “life-changing,” and “the most important experience of my life.” A variety of advanced methods are practiced in this residential program, including extraction healing, power (core) soul retrieval training, psychopomp work, divination, and work with the spirits of nature. There will also be work that is not included in FSS weekend workshops, such as selected advanced healing methods, the dream dance, explorations, and initiatory experiences.
The West and East Coast Two Week Intensives are the centerpiece annual programs of the Foundation and the best preparation for the Three-Year Programs. Enrollment is limited and early application is recommended. To assure a place in the program, please return your application promptly; acceptance will be according to priority received.
The new December 2015 issue of Shamanism (Annual) is now available. This print journal contains articles practical articles that support your interest in shamanism, including information about indigenous shamanism. (Cover image and table of contents below.) Shamanism is available as one of the many benefits of membership. Not a member? Join the Circle of the Foundation.
The Foundation for Shamanic Studies Europe is pleased to announce a series of core shamanic workshops in London in February 2016. This is a great opportunity to experience and learn about different aspects of shamanism and healing in a concentrated and comprehensive format. The workshops will be taught by an international team of the faculty of FSS Europe: Roland Urban, Andreas Hirsch, and Marta Niccolai. The special series will also include opportunities to practice as well as optional ceremonial work. You may book the whole series or individual workshops.
Please contact Roland Urban, Director of FSS Europe, for more information and to register: firstname.lastname@example.org
The series includes (workshop descriptions below):
- February 15 and 16 (prerequisite for all other workshops): The Basic Workshop: The Way of the Shaman(R)
- February 17 and 18: Shamanic Extraction Healing Training
- February 19, Half-Day of Practice
- February 20 and 21: Shamanism, Dying and Beyond
Schedule of Workshops:
Day 1: 9.30 am to 5.30 pm; ceremonial work (optional), 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm
Day 2: 9.30 am to 4.00 pm; half-day of practice, 4.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Basic Workshop: The Way of the Shaman(R)
- During this workshop you will be introduced to basic techniques in core shamanism, the universal and near universal methods used by shamans:
- How to journey to non ordinary reality
- How to meet and communicate with your Spirit helpers
- How to ask for help and healing
- How to retrieve information for yourself and for the benefit of others
- How to communicate with Nature for divination purposes
Shamanic Extraction Healing Training
Participants are initiated into the extraction method of healing, including how to see, sense, and remove localized illness and pain connected to spiritual factors. This is an important part of shamanic healing training. The training includes learning how shamanic practitioners can work in partnership to increase the effectiveness of this work. The Extraction Healing Training workshop is designed exclusively for people who want to bring shamanic healing work into their practice with others. The training is not designed for people looking for personal healing.
Shamanism, Dying, and Beyond
Participants learn how to deal with the issue of dying and the destiny of souls from a shamanic perspective. The workshop is both for those who wish to learn for themselves, and for those who wish to help people affected by a terminal illness or those who have already passed on. Additional learning will include how to become experientially familiar with the after-death realms, following a person’s spirit using shamanic journeying, completing unfinished business, helping a person to cross over, and classic psychopomp work.
Wishing you a happy holiday and a joyous New Year!
We are deeply saddened to announce that Nancy Friedrich, our friend and FSS faculty member for Hawaii, passed in the early morning of October 16 after a struggle with cancer.
Nancy’s daughter Celia Doss posted this on Nancy’s Facebook site:
“My beautiful mom Nancy Friedrich [link to Nancy’s Facebook site] rallied for a family visit Tuesday afternoon. She passed away peacefully this morning at 2:40 am with my dad Jimmy and me comforting her. She was the best mom, wife, sister and healer to all of us blessed to know her. Sunny Ananda [daughter] arrives Monday. We appreciate all the love from friends and family.”
Many friends and family have posted comments on Nancy’s Facebook site. The FSS posted:
FSS for Nancy Friedrich
Dear friends and family of Nancy Friedrich,
An amazing soul has transitioned. Nancy was such a fine person: gentle, wise, kind, ethical, and giving. It was a privilege working with her as part of the Foundation for Shamanic Studies faculty and being her friend. She carried a quiet peace within that touched us all. We send our deepest sympathies for your personal loss. We, too, will greatly miss her.
Michael Harner, Sandra Harner, and Susan Mokelke
Nancy was a wonderful healer, teacher, mother, grandmother and friend.